Thursday, February 18, 2010

Marriage

The bride first. Jenny stood facing me and recited poem she had selected. It was very moving, perhaps especially to me, because it was a sonnet by Elizabeth Barrett:

"When our two souls stand up erect and strong,

Face to face, silent, drawing nigh and nigher,

Until the lengthening wings break into fire…

From the corner of my eye I saw Phil Cavilleri, pale, slack-jawed, eyes wide with amazement and adoration combined. We listened to Jenny finish the sonnet, which was in its way a kind of prayer for

A place to stand and love in for a day,

with darkness and death hour rounding it."

Then it was my turn. It had been hard finding a piece of poetry I could read without blushing. I mean, I couldn't stand there and recite lace-doily phrases. I couldn't. But a section of Walt Whitman's Song of the Open road, though kind of brief, said it all for me:

… I give you my hand!

I give you my love more precious than money,

I give you myself before preaching or law;

Will you give me yourself? Will you come travel with me?

Shall we stick by each other as long as we live? "

Love Story by Erich Segal

No comments: