Monday, July 13, 2009

Siddhartha

“The world, Govinda, is not perfect or slowly evolving along a long path to perfection. No, it is perfect at every moment; every sin carries grace within it, all small children are potential old men, all suckling have death within them, all dying people-eternal life. It is not possible for one person to see how far another is on the way; the Buddha exists in the robber and dice player; the robber exists in the Brahmin. During deep meditation it is possible to dispel time, to see simultaneously all the past, present and future, and then everything is good, everything is perfect, everything is Brahman. Therefore it seems to me that everything that exists is good-death as well as life, sin as well as holiness, wisdom as well as folly.

Everything is necessary, everything needs only my agreement, my assent, my loving understanding; then all is well with me and nothing can harm me. I have learned from my body and soul that it was necessary for me to sin, that I needed lust, that I had to strive for property and experience nausea and the depths of despair in order to learn not to resist them, in order to love the world, and no longer compare it with some kind of desired imaginary world, some imaginary perfection, but to leave it as it is, to love it and be glad to belong to it.”

I just finished reading the book by Hermann Hesse..read few pages again ...very good book, simple, easy to connect and makes you think!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

From the excerpts you have put up here, it seems to be a nice book. Should catch it sometime. Thanks!

Pratima Khadke said...

yeah Sathya, pls do read ..u will like it !!

Siddhartha Joshi said...

i second that...great book...